I’m usually really bad at posting when I’m tagged but since Vicki of the blog French Essence and My French Life was nice enough to include me in her tags, I thought I should make time to participate.
The rules are that I have to list “six quirky yet boring, unspectacular details about yourself.” So here goes!
1. I am obsessed with buying art on ebay as you can see from my living room wall above. I collect vintage watercolors which I often end up framing in black vintage frames but my new passion is for 1960’s abstract art!
2. I don’t drink coffee but I do have an unhealthy addiction to diet coke. I don’t smoke or do drugs so I figure if this is my worst problem, I’m not doing so bad.
3. I spend way too much time at Bergdorf Goodman!
4. My drycleaner told me that I’m his favorite customer! I think it’s because I spend so much money getting my clothes from Bergdorf’s cleaned and tailored there!
5. Someone in an elevator at the D&D yesterday recognized me from my blog! I was so taken aback that I totally forgot to ask her where she worked or her name! So whoever you were, please email me so we can chat more! (Also, makes me kind of glad I’m one of those people who never leaves the house without clean hair and some lipstick! Never know who you might run into!)
The rules say that I’m supposed to tag six other bloggers but all my favorites have already been tagged so I’m tagging all my fabulous readers! Tell me six or even just one quirky yet fun detail about yourself! Oh, and keep it clean please. My family reads my blog! Bon Weekend!
Ok. So we share the same addiction to diet coke. I too, am addicted to ebay but my obsession is with antique mirrors…am now in possession of about 26 of them and have just moved in with the boyfriend. He does not understand why I have 26 mirrors. I don’t understand why he still has hideous Pier 1 pine furniture at the age of 41 which leads me to seek your advice…how do I get rid of that stuff? It hurts my eyes!
Anonymous – That’s a tough one but maybe you can look for new pieces to replace his Pier 1 furniture and see what he says. Your new home should reflect both of you so you don’t want to take over and completely redesign it unless he gives you the go ahead to do so. Good luck!
Anonymous #2 who’s comment I am not posting – I do give to charity and have written posts about giving. But this is a fun and creative blog where people come to be inspired on all counts. If you don’t like what I write about, you’re entitled but don’t leave nasty comments or insult my friends. Better yet, why don’t you start your own blog and leave me alone!
I love your living room, I too am obsessed with prints, I love the combination of neutral walls with lots of black framed prints, like your wall! 🙂
Thank you for playing and I am with you about Bergdorf’s – wish I could visit more often! xv
I like very much how you arranged your paintings. I am struggling with how I am going to hang a collection of 9 hand painted tiles from St. Maarten … all in the same frame! That is a quirky thing..I collect Caribbean art/paintings and once I get them home.. I never hang them!! other quirk… obsessed with keeping the hardwood floors dust free! maybe that is just plain CRAZY!! 🙂
1. I love reading your blog… it’s so cozy… it feels like drinking a hot cup of choco
2. I am obsessed with creating photo albums.. In this digital age we are living.. I keep printing thousands of photos of my summer vacations with friends and family and I get weird looks about it
3. I’m the only person I know that actually drinks Pumpkin Spice Latte
4. My favorite New York moment is when a guy plays the saxophone down my block and I can hear him on the 32nd floor.
5. My favorite design inspiration is Mykonos.. the combination of white and the blue of the sea is heaven!
6. Everytime I go to Exhale for yogalates, I have a new found admiration for women! This stuff is severe!!!
I like this! And since I always read your blog, but never comment, this is the perfect chance! Here we go!
1. Blogging is my new obsession… and as I am travelling around South America at the moment, is an expensive obsession, as I spend hours on Internet cafes!
2. I am phisically unable to go to Borders (or any other bookshop, rally!) and leave without several books (normally 3, from their 3 for 2 offers!)
3. I cannot do anything before I have my cup of coffee in the morning
4. My hair is always crazy, not matter what I do. My boyfriend actually calls me Crazy hair!
5. I can´t walk and drink at the same time
6. I am already planning Christmas! Love it!!!
Not sure if they are quirky enough, but I hope you enjoy reading them! B
I am buying my own place this month. Just me and no roomates. I have no real adult art I love and find it overwhelming. Everything seems to look cheesy or is soooo expensive. Any tips?
“I’m usually really bad at posting when I’m tagged”
I thought for a minute you were talking about being drunk!
hey miss chic . it’s not so baaaaad … is ebay is a good place for art work ? are you desapointed sometime ?
if you have to many i buy them back
dear chic, probably you know but there is an interesting show of abstract expressionism launched by haunch of venison in the space which christie’s used for the great judd show last year. have a nice weekend.
ps bergdorf goodman, damn you i love you…
Since when is spending too much time at Bergdorf’s a quirk?
I tagged Vicky and so on, so thanks for playing along. Your Bergdorf quirk is so elegant. Come on over and check out my quirks.
PS I like the way you handled this tag!
Thanks Luphia – I had fun collecting them all!
Vicki – If you come to NYC, I would love to go to Bergdorf’s with you!
Ivy Lane – are they the same or different sizes? I hung one first and arranged the rest from that one. I hate hanging art but I’m actually good at it so I often get stuck doing it.
Wizard – those are fabulous quirks! I think rel photo albums are so much more meaningful than online ones and beautiful too! Keep up the good work!
B- those are fun quirks! I share the same book problem. It’s a good thing that I don’t live near a B&N or I’d be there everyday! As for the hair, not sure what the reason is that it’s crazy but I love Phytodefrisant! It smooths my non-straight hair into submission!
Jonathan – Hahahahaha!
Zelda – I have only bought a few that were too big and luckily they were perfect for the bachelor pad.
Sebastian – I’m going to have to check that out! If there is a website or more information, I would love you to email me. Thanks!
PVE – Well, maybe it’s more of an obsession that a quirk. I find the store so inspiring and beautiful even if I don’t buy anything!
Thanks Visual Vamp – I’ll definitely check yours out too!
So glad you are buying art off ebay. It’s a great way to get original art for a reasonable price and have some contact with the artist.
My question: How did the person recognize you? I don’t see a photo of you anywhere on your site.
I enjoy your blog!
I am obsessed with collecting old sewing patterns. I love the illustrations! I collect them all…children, men, teen, doll,decor. My latest find is a troll doll wardrobe pattern from the 60’s…oh, is it cute & only a quarter at a thrift shop! My oldest is a McCall 1920’s wraparound coat pattern that I am dying to make.I have 6 banker boxes full and have thought of using them as wallpaper in my dressing room.
6 things about me
1) As an Brit, I confess I love America- we were just in Boston and I LOVE New England in the Fall- I love boneless buffalo wings and margaritas and I love enormous Dunkin Donut coffees and egg and cheese muffins (there are all my non chic secrets revealed…)
2) If I have to buy a particular grocery in multiples they have to be even numbers- i like symmetry on my shelves
3) I love this blog- it is as someone described above- cozy- and I find it calming to look at such lovely things!
4) I only like white flowers in my garden- lilies gardenias etc but I like coloured flowers in cut arrangements (except orange – I don’t like anything orange)
5) I love making coffee everymorning in my italian stove top espresso maker- obsessed more like it- it is just as quick as boiling a kettle!
6) I love recipe books and have shelves full…but rarely cook from them!
Your blog is so compelling and fun. Thanks.
Some things about me:
1. After 20 years as a curator in a decorative arts museum (pre-1840 collection) in DC, I am totally into mid-century modern. Just can’t take another late 18th century chair.
2. Obsessed with lucite
3. Obsessed with the English painter John Bratby, especially his paintings of “Patty.”
4. Favorite New York stores, Soho Treasures and a little pharmacy on 181st Street.
5. Terrified of frogs, adore machine pilates, and am proud to be a liberal democrat
Thanks for being interested in those that are interested in you!
I always read your blog but have never left a comment before, either, so here goes! : )
1. I often think silver looks better tarnished than it does when newly polished.
2. I look for old, carved wooden picture frames at flea markets.
3. It makes me sad to walk into rooms where the curtains are drawn during the day.
4. I grew up roller skating up and down my house to the music on my parent’s old juke box- every kid should have one.
5. I love to visit Monet’s paintings- there’s something soothing and deep about them.
6. I think rooms are incredible vehicles of expression, and I like to imagine what a stranger would think of me when they walked in.
I love your blog- I’m living in my first apartment and a long long way from home, and all the ideas and the friendly way you approach topics have been both a lot of fun and comforting! Thanks a lot : )
Heather, All the frames are the same, same size etc…I bought the same frames to highlight each painted tile.. They are small..and square… I do have two gallery hallways..but feel the frames would just float … I will probably have to hang different pieces in between each one …I have to get the rest of my collection of other pieces all framed..and do what you say..start with one..and press on!!! 🙂
Here are a few quirky things about me:
1. I’m a compulsive thrifter. If I’ve had a stressful day, I stop at the thrift store for a “fix” on my way home. I’m a total label snob, though, only collecting the best.
2. I’m also, conversley, obsessed with streamlining and paring down to the absolute necessities.
3. I vaccum my cat, who is nearly deaf. He quite enjoys it.
4. My alcoholc consumtion has been narrowed down to Vinho Verde, Portugal’s answer to champagne.
5. For the past ten years, the only lipstick I have worn is MAC’s Russian Red.
6. I call looking at magazines “studying.”
Thanks for the wonderful blog!
Thanks for giving us this opportunity – sadly no one visits my blog!
1. I’m obsessed with home decor and design (although I am a full-time Math teacher!)
2. I buy all the imported overseas shelter magazines at my local newsagency (and the lady who owns it already knows to remove the price as my husband would have a nervous breakdown if he saw how expensive they were).
3. I always pay half in cash and half on credit card for home purchases (same reason as above)
4. I collect antique roses paintings and art deco portraits on ebay (and tell my husband they cost half of their actual price)
5. I haven’t marked my Year 8 Algebra Test and we go back to school on Wednesday!
Please visit my blog, and I love New York City and was there 3 months ago!
Thanks for the recommendation for crazy hair! My boyfriend will appreciate it! 🙂 But I must confess the real problem is that I always forget to apply all the other products I have!
Tracey, visited your blog and found it delightful! Will stop by again!